Saturday, April 23, 2011

Weekend Cooking: Brunch

I was contemplated doing something Easter-ish for Weekend Cooking this week but in the end decided not to. Easter is kind of a strange holiday for me. I grew up in a religious household and was very involved in church activities so understand all the religious significance. Every Easter when I was a teenager I used to go away on church camps and there would be lots of discussion and celebrations etc. These days though, I really don't consider myself to be Christian, and so the fact that we have these four days off is something of an anti climax. Actually, this year we have five days off, and then I am taking Wednesday off as well so it is a six day weekend. I am not complaining about having time off at Easter, I just often feel at something off a loose end for it, especially this year as the boy has been away for a week, and only comes home tomorrow and my sister and her family have gone camping so there is no big family lunch like we normally have.

So instead of something Easter-ish I thought I might post a brunch recipe, because I did go out for brunch (actually turned out to be lunch by the time everyone got there) with friends this morning.


As much as I love a big breakfast of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, toast etc, I do also really like the idea of something that still feels like a breakfast but is just that little bit different. I was flicking through the free recipe magazine that you get from the supermarket, and saw this and immediately wanted to try it so this recipe has been added to the recipes-I-want-to-try-once-my-oven-is-fixed file.

Spanish Eggs with Chorizo, Potato and Tomato

1 tbs olive oil
3 chorizo, skin removed, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes (450g)
1 brown onion, finely chopped
3 tsp ground cumin 2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smokey paprika
800g diced Italian Tomatoes
1 bunch coriander, leaves removed
4 Free-Range Eggs


1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo, potato and onion. Stir until combined. Cook for 8 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add cumin, coriander and paprika. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Pour tomatoes over mixture and bring to the boil.
 
2 Roughly chop half the coriander and stir into tomato mixture. Form 4 indentations in tomato mixture with the back of a spoon. Crack an egg into each indent. Cover pan with a tight fitting lid or foil. Place in oven for 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook for 5 minutes or until egg white is just cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining coriander leaves. Serve.
 
Serves 4
 

 Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs.

18 comments:

  1. A brunch recipe is very appropriate for the Easter holidays. I love the sound of it. I think one could easily do it without the chorizo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy does that sound good. I love that it seems to be an anytime dish -- Sunday breakfast, Saturday lunch, weekday dinner. Yum. We love chorizo and cilantro, so I know it'd be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this does sound good, and the addition of the Spanish sausage sounds like it would be excellent. We very rarely eat brunch, but it seems like this might make a great meal at another time as well. Thanks for sharing this with us. I bet my husband would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, this looks good! I'd probably make this a lunch dish for the weekend. I'm actually working some of this Easter :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egg dishes are favorites of mine and I am always glad to find new ones that are hearty enough to be a main meal. This looks great; can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, you had me at the chorizo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe. This is going on my try-right-now list. We have eight free range chickens and they are laying like crazy right now. I need ways to use them. I'm fairly new to chorizo so this gives me a reason to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, YUM! I'm not a big fan of brunch or breakfast foods but this looks delish! I always favor spicy and salty over sweet and gooey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dish looks so good, I'm putting it on my list as well!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore brunch and think this one should be filed away for a later date!

    I'm jealous of your 6-day weekend-that is a score for sure! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the ingredients in this and it looks like something you could have for any meal. I'm adding it to my collection.

    Feel free to visit my W C

    ReplyDelete
  13. THis would be eaten in a flash in our house. excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This would be a big hit with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Marg

    I saw your comment on my boston cookie recipe (thanks) and yes you can definitely leave out the nuts...my mom actually likes them with double the raisins :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks really lovely! So it is in fact a tortilla, a Spanish potato omelet? I sometimes make it, when I have time. Wonderful indeed for brunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I haven't heard of a brown onion. Interesting. I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks delicious! One of my favorite breakfasts/dinners is a tomato/white bean stew topped with a poached egg. This looks really similar except there is sausage too! How could this possibly be wrong?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP