Saturday, July 24, 2010

Paris in July/Weekend Cooking: Tour de France edition

Tomorrow, the remaining riders who will have travelled 3642 kilometres will ride up the Champs-Elysees, and then presumably take a well earned break, having completed the 2010 Tour de France!

I am an armchair participant in Le Tour. I love watching it, although I don't often see the end of any stages because it finishes about 2am here. I do often watch the pre show chats, and the beginning of the ride each day. I love watching the cyclists and trying to figure out the strategy, as well as what the heck is going on. For example, I know what the yellow jersey means, and I kind of get the King of the Mountain competition, but I have no idea how you win the polka dot jersey or many of the others! The other highlights for me as well though is the French scenery, particularly the chateuax and the historical information that is shared by the commentators.

Before you start wondering if I have forgotten that this is a weekend cooking post, I really haven't. One of the things that happens every night before the start of the stage is that there is a segment called The Taste of the Tour, where the host, Gabriele Gate, talks about the specialities of the particular region where the tour is travelling through that day. He shares a recipe using some of those ingredients, as well as giving a recommendation as to the wine that would be best with that recipe.


Gabriele Gate is one of the higher profile French chefs in Australia, in terms of media profile at least, and he has that gorgeous French accent going on. He has lived in Australia for over 30 years, and has cooked on many TV shows, as well as cook books and DVDs. I actually picked one of his DVDs up from the library today, so you may well hear more about him at some stage.

So, in honour of the final stages of the Tour de France, here are a couple of the Taste Le Tour segments from a couple of years ago featuring Gabriele Gate. This one is for Lamb Casserole with Green Olives (only because I had lamb shanks for dinner, and whilst they were nice I am thinking this would be better) and the second is for Crayfish a la Parisienne because it features some talk about food and shopping in Paris.








Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs.



 


Paris in July is being co-hosted by Karen from Book Bath and Tamara from Thyme for Tea. Both of these bloggers share a love of all thing French and Parisian, and so they have combined to host a month long event to celebrate!

8 comments:

  1. Two beautiful dishes that are simple, simple to prepare. I don't have access to fresh crayfish here but I do have beautiful organic lamb in my freezer. Come fall, I am going to make that lamb dish.

    I have loved this Paris in July feature and am going to participate next year if it happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love that taste the Tour concept. Gives the event an additional spin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What DOES the yellow jersey mean? Some of us don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. Loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mollie, it's a lot of fun to watch isn't it.

    Glad you enjoye it Kaye.

    Bonnie, the yellow jersey is what the overall leader gets to wear. The timing thing is a bit odd in a way, but this year there is an 8 second gap between 1st and 2nd place.

    Rikki, I really enjoy watching to see what dishes they make, and what the specialities are of each region.

    Beth, I can't see myself making the crayfish, but I definitely think I could do the lamb casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too and am a taste of the tour fan and have been watching the begining and the end of the race (with a little na in between). Hasn't it been great. beautiful food, cooking and wine idea's from Gabriel and great scenery of France. Thanks for sharing these recipes with us. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! Thanks for sharing these recipes with us! I have not ever really followed the Tour, but I will happily watch videos that entice me to cook French cuisine!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP