Thursday, January 10, 2008

May I Introduce....

This week's Booking Through Thursday question:


1. How did you come across your favorite author(s)? Recommended by a friend? Stumbled across at a bookstore? A book given to you as a gift?

2. Was it love at first sight? Or did the love affair evolve over a long acquaintance?



Before I can answer these questions I need to take a step back and think who exactly would I classify as my favourite authors. We'll start with Diana Gabaldon.

I was given Cross Stitch for my birthday from my sister about 5 years ago I think. It sat on my shelf for months until one day I felt like reading something and so picked that up, started and finished it, and then basically devoured the rest of the series as quickly as I possible could.

Reading Cross Stitch led me to the Ladies of Lallybroch board where everyone raved about Sharon Kay Penman, so I read Sunne in Splendour and loved it which led me to read all of her other books, except for Time and Chance which I will read when I know for sure how long I have to wait for Devil's Brood.

Still over at Lallybroch, there was mention of Claire, Jamie and Young Ian making a brief appearance in a book called Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati, so I started reading that series and anything else that Sara/Rosina puts out.

Then there was much excitement over a book called The Bronze Horseman and my love for Paullina Simons' books was born.

Then I started getting involved in blogging and other online forums, and started reading more romance. Liz Carlyle and Lisa Kleypas' books caught the eye. Then JR Ward mania hit and I started reading more and more paranormal romances

Another favourite is Diana Norman and I am pretty sure that I first heard of her over at Dear Author. I think I first heard of Susan Carroll over at Historical Fiction, and have been introduced to loads of great books over there.

Really, I could go on and on, but I won't. I will however say that I am always grateful when people blog about great reads, that lead me to discover lots of new authors...so thanks everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Stephen King is a great writer. If you don't like horror, you can always try The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, and some of his other works that aren't "scary".

    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was introduce to Diana Gabaldon by a friend who is member of the JDRobb yahoo group that Darla and I are in. When I saw how thick these books were, I was afraid to try reading them LOL..but I'm so glad that I read them :) I heard about Sara Donati, but haven't yet try her. Maybe someday, given if I have the times or when the mood strike....

    I also heard about Paullina Simons, but the only book I read was "Tully", which happen to be the first book I read...this is before I heard about The Bronze Horseman. And I know many readers love those series. I haven't try this one yet either :)

    Happy BTTs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really read a lot of horror, but I do like to try and stretch myself genre wise, so I might still give a scary one a go!

    Julia, if you can get it, please give The Bronze Horseman a go. It's fantastic!!!

    I should have mentioned J D Robb, which I think was from a chat group I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great when getting into one author leads to another you really love. Don't you just love the blogging world for great recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's really great that there are a lot of blogs that offer reviews or personal views.

    mine is also up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabaldon is in my answer today too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this is a first, I think. I haven't heard of a single author you mentioned. Not one. That's extremely rare and I love that I now have several new names to check out. Thanks!

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is interesting. I have not heard of any of the writers you have mentioned here. Good. Now I will check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sigh* Okay, this is, like, the 3rd BTT post I've read and thought "how could I have forgotten THAT author!?" :) I am a huge fan of Diana Gabaldon. I just love Jamie and Claire! I'm definitely going to have to visit Ladies of Lallybroch. Have you read the Lord John Grey series? I haven't gotten to it yet. But I highly recommend the audio book version of Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager. They're unabridged recordings done by Davina Porter. She truly brings the story to life with her narration.

    I'm going to have to keep visiting your blog, because it looks like I'm going to get some great tips from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you read Diana Norman's "Mistress of the Art of Death' which is published under the name of Ariana Franklin? It's one of the best historical detective stories I've come across.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Table Talk. I have read Mistress of the Art of Death and I am anxiously awaiting the next book under the name of Ariana Franklin which is going to be called The Serpent's Tale. You can read my review of Mistress here.

    Becca, the same thing has happened to me as well on this BTT! I have read most of the Lord John books. I am expecting to finish LJ and the Hand of Devils today actually. Davina Porter does a great job of the unabridged audio books. I have been known to borrow a book just because she is the narrator - I have listened to a couple of Katie Fforde books for that reason! I hope you do visit again!

    Gautami and CJ, I hope you do check some of them out!

    Chris, I've seen Gabaldon a few times in answer to this meme!

    Thanks for visiting everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read anything by Diana Gabaldon yet, although I have heard a lot of good reviews about her books.

    Oh, I love Lisa Kleypas and JR Ward's books, they are a must read to me!

    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read a couple by Gabaldon. I hope to get back to them someday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it funny how sometimes one book gets you hooked on an entire series? Now I'm more surprised when I read something, and have no interest in anything else the author has written ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wandering through the BTT posts and I keep coming up with authors that I've forgotten. One series I really enjoyed was The Masters of Rome, by Colleen McCullough. It starts with The First Man in Rome and is really well-researched and very readable. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP