Thursday, January 24, 2008

Huh?

This week's Booking Through Thursday question:


What’s your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody “knows” those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, “Huh? Never heard of it?”

And, folks–Becca was nice enough to nominate Booking Through Thursday for a Blogger’s Choice Award–while you’re here, why don’t you head over and vote for us, too. Because, a vote for BTT is a vote for all of us who play each week!



I think my answer to this question really depends on who 'people' are! If we are talking about in real life, then the list of books that I love that other people haven't read is extensive. If we are talking about in blogland, then it is a little harder to narrow it down!

In terms of my family and friends, there are very few that I can talk books with. The girl I sit next to at work and I do, but we read very different genres. Basically I think I could talk just about anyone to them and they wouldn't necessarily have heard of them, with the exception of probably Diana Gabaldon, Paullina Simons and Bryce Courtenay! The first two is because they have heard me rave on about, the other because when he has a new book out he does get saturation coverage here!

In blogland, I decided that I would look at the least known book out of my best reads of 2007, and that would have to be Barbed Wire and Roses by Peter Yeldham. I really, really enjoyed that book, but I don't think I have ever seen this author mentioned on any other blogs. Actually, I don't even see him in the shops at all either, so I guess that his sales weren't all that great, given that Barbed Wire and Roses only came out six months ago. If that is the case, it is disappointing because the book itself is a really good read. I am now on a mission to read his backlist, and have another of his books out from the library to read.

19 comments:

  1. I share the same thoughts too, Marg, about depending on who the other readers are...

    Well, I have not heard of Peter Yeldham though. I'll have to check out the book you mentioned.

    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it depends who you're talking to! I've not heard of Peter Yeldham either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should have linked to the review shouldn't I!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read from the link of Barbed Wire and Roses and it look interesting. I might try to get it from the library and give it a try :)

    Julia - Yen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book. Cool blog btw

    ReplyDelete
  6. A book about WWI! I haven't heard of this author, and neither has my library (which ha ha, rural South, big surprise there) but what's really weird is I can't find it on amazon, either? Maybe it's too late at night to be trying to do complicated book searches. XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a book by an Australian author, so I am not sure how easy it is going to be to find in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Melody, I agree. It really depends on who I'm comparing author lists with. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what I like about the book blogs. I get to hear about authors, I would otherwise not know anything about!

    I will check him out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peter Yeldham's book sounds really interesting. Years ago I saw the movie Gallipoli and it was excellent though heartbreaking. I hope I can find the book here in the U.S. Maybe I can go to the library and find it through interlibrary loan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of Yeldham. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree; so much depends on who you're talking with.

    I've heard only of Gabaldon but I haven't read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogland people are much more well informed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard any of the authors you mentioned, but maybe because they're Australians? We in Malaysia get books from UK and US mostly, unless its a specialty bookstore.

    I'm starting to sound like an ignorant bimbo after going through 5 blogs. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not heard of this author, but will definitely check him out. re: Chris' comment about blogland people being more well-informed, I used to think so until today. There are a ton of really neat authors out there I'm not aware of!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Indeed it seems we all think the same about the fact taht it depends who we're talking to. In real life, I'm just like you, most of the time people look at me with wide eyes, surely thinking that I read weird books;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Larawannabe, Yeldham and Courtney are the only Australian authors on this list. Simons is a little difficult to get hold of in the US but Gabaldon should be well enough known to be relatively accessible I would think!

    Thanks for stopping by everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of Peter Yeldham, so that was a good choice for this meme. It's a bit discouraging that his book is already hard to find after just six months though....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP