Saturday, January 12, 2008

Atonement by Ian McEwan

On the hottest day of the summer of 1934, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her sister Cecilia strip off her clothes and plunge into the fountain in the garden of their country house. Watching her is Robbie Turner, her childhood friend who, like Cecilia, has recently come down from Cambridge.

By the end of that day, the lives of all three will have been changed for ever. Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had not even imagined at its start, and will have become victims of the younger girl's imagination. Briony will have witnessed mysteries, and committed a crime for which she will spend the rest of her life trying to atone.



This is a book that I was always going to read, for a number of reasons. The first was the "there's a movie" coming hype, where I think that a movie sounds interesting but I really want to read the book first. The second reason was that there was a LOT of Atonement love happening over at one of the forums I am a member of (rather I should say IS a lot of love) and the third reason was that having read On Chesil Beach not too long ago and not minding it, I was curious as to whether I really would like to read more of McEwans books. The answer to that question, having read this book, is a definite yes. Of course, the fact that I liked this is no guarantee that I will like the others, but it's a good sign.

It is more difficult than usual for me to write about this book, because even to try to give basic explanations of plots will be to spoil. What I would say is that the love story that is contained within this book is very strong, thriving in spite of huge difficulties that are placed in its path, and has a star-crossed lovers feel to it.

There are three main setting in the novel - one the country estate that the Tallis' call home, where events take an unforeseen turn that very nearly destroys both one individual and a whole family. We also found ourselves in the desperate days just before the evacuation of the British troops at Dunkirk, and then again later in the hospitals of London as they try to cope with the influx of wounded. McEwan does a great job at giving each of these locations very distinct atmosphere and emotional charge without losing any of the emotional depth associated with the events that happen in each of these places.

As to whether the main character atones or not...well....I'm not sure she does, but she is definitely a character about whom it is not possible to be ambivalent.

Overall, a very satisfying read, and I am looking forward to seeing the novel now that I have finished the book!

Other Blogger's Thoughts

A Girl Walks Into a Bookstore
Musings of a Bookish Kitty
Rhinoa's Ramblings

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation Marg. I've added it to my library request list, but I am reader no 18 for about 9 copies. Probably just as well as I currently have 30 library books out, and 30 is the limit I think. All this blogging is cutting my reading time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I think I have got to the limit of how many books I can borrow at any one time, they keep on letting me borrow more! At the moment I have 49 out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost went to see Atonement, last night.But instead my niece Trish want to see "I Am Legend". It wasn't a bad movie. I like it :) But I really want to see Atonement :)

    Reading your though on the book, I think I going to grab a copy and read it...maybe I should read it first before the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always prefer to read the book first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Atonement last month on the recommendation of a family member, who really enjoyed the book. I love it and can't wait to read his other novels.
    Stephanie
    www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the wonderful review Marg! I have had this book on my TBR for a very long time and should really make it a priority.

    I saw the film at the Vancouver International Film Festival Media Screenings in September and it blew me away! I think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really hated Atonement. Is is definitely on my "Top Ten worst books I've managed to finish without throwing it away in rage". LOL. I couldn't stand it's style, I found the characters so unsympathetic and frankly, I probably didn't get half of the plot either ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right about reading the book first, I agree! Unfortunately, I watched the film first but as it was some years ago, I could not remember it that well... I liked the book, especially the writing style (although I read it in French, so it was actually a translation)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. `Atonement' is a brilliantly orchestrated tale of pain, despair, loyalty, betrayal and the ultimate yearning to make amends, to find atonement for our sins and attain forgiveness for our souls. Truly one of the most inspiring and ultimately absorbing novels I've read to date.

    Marlene
    Great data for Janitorial Service Dallas

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP