Friday, October 12, 2007

My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson

Kamryn Matika has no responsibilities - one birthday card will change that for ever.... Best friends Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon thought nothing could come between them - until Adele did the unthinkable and slept with Kamryn's fiance, Nate. Worse still, she got pregnant and had his child. When Kamryn discovered the truth about their betrayal she vowed never to see any of them again. Two years later, Kamryn receives a letter from Adele asking her to visit her in hospital. Adele is dying and begs Kamryn to adopt her daughter, Tegan. With a great job and a hectic social life, the last thing Kamryn needs is a five-year-old to disrupt things. Especially not one who reminds her of Nate. But with no one else to take care of Tegan and Adele fading fast, does she have any other choice? So begins a difficult journey that leads Kamryn towards forgiveness, love, responsibility and, ultimately, a better understanding of herself.


I first heard about this book over at Karen Scott's blog. The review that she wrote was one of those that made me go...I have to read this book now! Yes, it took me 3 months to do so (and a bit longer to get to write this review), but it was definitely worth getting this book out of the library.

The only problem I had was that I started reading it on the train on the way home from work one day, and given that I started crying on the second page that was probably a mistake! I went back to read Karen's review when I got home to see if there was sufficient warning that this was going to be one of those books that made me cry...and there really was! Once I kept reading, in the privacy of my own home, I cried and laughed throughout this book and thoroughly enjoyed my read!

Please don't think that this is a morose or depressing book because it really isn't! The story IS emotional, but there are sufficient moments of joy and humour (and love) to be able to balance out those emotional moments, without trying to undermine the backbone of the novel or resorting to cliches.

In closing, I would really encourage you to read Karen's review of this book by clicking on the link above! She has done an excellent job of dissecting the characters and the story - far better than I can possibly do!

This is the only Koomson book that my library has, which is a shame because I would love to read more by this author! Watch out Book Depository here I come!

Rating 4.5/5

6 comments:

  1. I'm too scared to read this book. It has betrayal and a mother who dies--guaranteed to leave me morose for weeks! *lol* Hey, can you please spoil me and tell me whom she ends up with (you can e-mail me if you don't want spoilers here)? I'm seriously considering getting this book, but I think I'll have to read the end first and get lots of reassurance that it won't turn me into an emotional wreck.

    Also, is it just me or is the girl on the cover more than 2 years old???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girl on the cover is 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, another MBFG convert!! Gosh I loved this book, and sadly, I haven't read anything that's been able to surpass it since, which is why it stays on my book of the month slot, on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering why it was still up as book of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew. Just reading the description sounds emotionally intense. I'm putting this on my to-look-for list, but I think I'll definitely need to read something light and funny afterward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna agree with what Darla said. I think I'm going to look out for this book but will need to read something light and funny after ward :)

    Great review Marg :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP