Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Decision time

When I made my Reading Resolutions for 2007, one of them was:

Shortlists - it is my intention to read the shortlists for the Booker and either the Orange Prize or the Pulitzer Prize.


Well, the shortlist for the Orange Prize was announced today and three of the books on the list are books that I already had on my list to read anyway, so now I have to decide which shortlist I am going to read. Given that I already do have some of them that I know that I want to read maybe I will do the Orange. The nominated books are:

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Arlingtom Park by Rachel Cusk

The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Guo

The Observations by Jane Harris

Digging to America by Anne Tyler



Maybe I will make a final decision in the morning when I am not quite so sleepy!

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you try chimamanda's book. It will give you an insight into the contemporary events and problems. You look around the world today, you would notice that, war is just part of man (It is necessary if peace is to be achieved) - but the real war that should be fought by every man is the war against oneself; ones selfishness, ego and pride.

    Nigeria, at present, where Chimamanda is from and has written about, has not changed very much; likewise is the situation in most parts of the world.

    More importantly I opine that the book sets to showcase the extent to which man can really go mad!!

    Chimamanda is a beautiful writer. I happen to have schooled in the University of Nigeria. Reading the book made it better for me to savour the style with which she writes which is unique and fascinating! I have no doubt that she would win it the second time for her second novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to stop reading book blogs because now I've decided I need to read some of these too LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one that I know and have in my TBR pile is the Observations by Jane Harris. The others are complete strangers! :-s

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP