Thursday, September 21, 2006

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

The fourth book in the Wallflowers series following on Devil in Winter.











After spending three London seasons searching for a husband, Daisy Bowman's father has told her in no uncertain terms that she must find a husband. Now. And if Daisy can't snare an appropriate suitor, she will marry the man he chooses -- the ruthless and aloof Matthew Swift.

Daisy is horrified. A Bowman never admits defeat, and she decides to do whatever it takes to marry someone . . . anyone . . . other than Matthew. But she doesn't count on Matthew's unexpected charm . . . or the blazing sensuality that soon flares beyond both their control. And Daisy discovers that the man she has always hated just might turn out to be the man of her dreams.

But right at the moment of sweet surrender, a scandalous secret is uncovered . . . one that could destroy both Matthew and a love more passionate and irresistible than Daisy's wildest fantasies.


With Daisy's story, we round out the tales of the original Wallflowers that we first met in Secrets of a Summer Night. Thankfully this book isn't just an excuse to wheel out the couples from the first three books. They are all here, but I think that they definitely fulfill varied roles within the stories and aren't just included for the sake of being included.

Daisy is the only one of the Wallflower's to have not yet got married, and after a couple of years in London her father is getting impatient. He gives Daisy an ultimatum...find a husband within the next few weeks or marry the man of his choice.....his business partner Matthew Swift. Daisy is mortified - there is no way she is going to marry Matthew Swift, but what she doesn't know is that the awkward young man that she knew before has filled out into an impressive figure of a man, in more ways than one.

As for Matthew, he has been summoned to England and responded accordingly, without being aware of what Mr Bowman's intentions are. Matthew has been half in love with Daisy for a very long time, but there is a secret from his past that means that Matthew is reluctant to acknowledge or act on his feelings for Daisy.

So, what didn't I like about his book. I don't think I will be the first to say that Lilian was a bit too overbearing throughout this book, although I guess she was just being a bit of a mother hen. There were times that I wished that Marcus would just tell her to go and rest or something! LOL!!

There wasn't enough Sebastian...then again, maybe I have to go and reread Devil in Winter in order to get my fill!

In terms of the main characters I liked Matthew a lot - in fact as I sit here trying to work out what order I would rank the hero's in the series in I really struggle. Well, after putting Sebastian at number 1, then I struggle with the others because I really liked them all! Daisy was alright as well, although I am not very heroine focused a lot of the time!

Another thing that I didn't really like was the whole crisis that occurred at the end of the book revolving around Matthew's past, but Daisy's reaction to the events portrayed was really well written. I guess you can't really have one without the other, so I guess it is just a minor gripe!

Overall this was a good ending to this part of the story. I can't wait for the next Wallflower's story to be release, which is supposed to be Cam Rohan's story. He actually shared a steamy kiss with Daisy in Devil in Winter...can't wait to meet the heroine who is deemed a good match with this sexy gypsy!

Rating 4/5

3 comments:

  1. I felt pretty much the same way about this as you did. I can't wait for Cam's book, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devil In Winter is the quintessential perfect love story in my eyes! SIS just paled in comparison to DIW. Although, I still enjoyed it for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DiW is certainly one of the best recent releases that I have read!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP